Thursday, April 29, 2010

Says who?

Many have asked me to consider becoming a writer, and it is a skirmish within me which surfaces..weekly I dare say. Often during the day I'll be uncontrollably seized with the compulsion to write something down.

I will languorously jot disjointed thoughts into diction..flirt with adjectives.

Hence, I do write. Does that make me a writer?

The mainstream would be of the opinion that my "writings" would have to be first published, merit an approving nod from a publisher or at least to be read by the masses through other channels for me to even be deemed as a writer. Who determines if one is a writer or not? Who are the right people to judge if one writes well? Isn't writing an art? If so, who wears the Art Police badge?

In Mona Lisa Smile, one of my favourite movies, Julia Roberts, Art History professor in one one her lectures on who decides if art is art; she says "It's art!"

I say, "I write!"

Therefore, I am a writer.

:X

This however probably should not apply to other skills like... singing, if one sings, badly, one should not be dubbed a singer!


No comments: